Friday, November 29, 2013

Sappy Thanksgiving Post


Yesterday was my first Thanksgiving to spend here in Honduras. While I was sad to miss out on time with my family, I am so thankful that I was able to spend a really great day with our group of gringos.

Donna and Stacy cooked us a very delicious, Americanized feast, and we spent the day sitting around, talking, playing games, and eating way too much.

I've spent some time reflecting on things that I’m thankful for, and on some of the differences in my life now compared to thanksgivings past. There are obviously a lot of differences. I miss my parents and my sister as well as the rest of our family, and get slightly jealous when I hear about their time together. I miss my friends. I miss the holiday atmosphere, and Christmas lights, and other even more insignificant things.

There is much to miss, but it’s impossible to forget all of the reasons that I am more than content.

There are so many things to be joyful about and thankful for! I have a group of gringos that have truly become family. I have a very unique job that I love, that has taught me to count my blessings. I live in a house full of girls that have become a whole other kind of family.. A family that is exhausting, is teaching me how to love during very difficult times, and that has returned that love and patience to me. I have coworkers that, not only can I now understand them when they speak, but have become great friends with comforting presences in a foreign place.. And this foreign place has become a place where I feel at home.

God is good. His mercies are new every morning! He has blessed me more than I can put into words, and I am truly thankful.

I am thankful for the never-ending love and support from friends and family, without which I could not be doing anything that I am doing now. I don't communicate this enough, but every message, kind word, and cent that is sent to me is a blessing and means more than you know! So thank you all, happy thanksgiving, and don’t trample anyone on this Black Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment